Everything we do is for those who can’t do for themselves.
We Care Wildlife Sanctuary is a 501(c)3 not for profit, volunteer and donor-supported exotic animal sanctuary based in the San Antonio, Texas area.
- We serve as a voice and helping hand for all the abandoned, injured, neglected and unwanted exotic animals.
- We are ambassadors for the animal kingdom, and dedicate our heart and soul to the welfare of those that need our care.
- Our team is passionate about the rescue, rehabilitation and overall quality of life for all of our resident animals.
We Care Wildlife Sanctuary takes in and cares for surrendered exotic animals. These come mostly from the exotic pet trade, and some are recycled breeders, while others are just too old and weak for the pet and breeding trade.
We currently house over 100 animals. This includes around 40 turtles and tortoises, including Galapagos tortoises. We house close to 30 different primates, as well as monkeys and gibbon apes, camels, parrots, toucans, etc.
We are making room for our next rescue friend; a baby giraffe pulled from its mother too early who is now suffering from recurring poor health problems. As with all of our rescues, she will need a lot of hands-on care and and endless investment of love.
How it Works
As an example, when we accept the young giraffe, as a “hands-on” sanctuary we will step in and:
- take over all legal ownership rights and responsibilities to him,
- pay for any and all medical bills,
- house him on our 12 acre ranch,
- feed him,
- take on all rehabilitation therapy needs,
- and pay all of the required fees and management costs for the rest of his life.
More importantly, we will provide him with love and personal care, to ensure that he feels cared for and wanted. He will become an important part of our We Care family.
We feel strongly about being 100 % involved with each and every animal that we accept. Therefore, because we are so hands on with our animals, we are not a sprawling operation. We never take in more animals than we can adequately care for. Our funding is solely donor based, so we are sure to put in everything that we’ve got to care for those who really need it. To be sure, we get a lot of extreme cases.
One of our founders, Josué Santiago, has a 20 year background in veterinary medicine, in triage emergency exotic medicine, which helps immensely in our efforts to give proper care to our exotic animal guests.
Be sure to check out our friends at (opens in a new tab)”>Texas Primate Owners United>